Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Amazing SuperZack

Last summer, I started Zack off reading some high frequency words (again, the teacher in me) like the, a, my is, I. When I realized he was having a hard time blending words (putting /k/ /a/ /t/ together to make cat), I checked out the BOB books from the library. He caught on to that pretty quickly, so we got some of the easy readers, with short, repetitive sentences. Before we knew it, he was reading like crazy! My sister even commented that I shouldn't push him because, well, what are the teachers going to do with him, but I haven't pushed him at all. He just picks up books and starts reading. My other sister asked if he had just memorized one book, because he was reading the word imagine correctly. So I wrote it on a piece of paper and asked him what it said...and he knew it!! Now, he's reading just about anything he can get his hands on. While Xander was at his storytime...or playing with the toys and puzzles...in the library, Zack picked out a book that said Level 3 Grades 2-4. Grades 2-4!!!! And he was reading it!! I am just so amazed at how quickly and easily reading has come to him!

Mark is, too, but he read or heard something about working on writing as well. So last night, while he was getting Xander ready for bed, he asked Zack to sit down and write about what he did yesterday. Here's what he got: i WIETTOFOODLiYNANDTRgET (I went to Food Lion and Target) and (yes, there's more!) i PLAYDMARiOKARtAND igOT SSRIPSATTiYk1DO (I played Mario Kart and I got stripes at Tae Kwon Do). He even used the box from the Mario Kart game to spell that and looked in a book to find out how to spell the word and! These are skills I taught my first graders...and he's not even in kindergarten!!!
I really hope I don't sound like I'm bragging here. I'm just a proud and amazed parent!

Mark used my camera without permission!! But I can forgive him since he got this cute shot. Note the white block in mid-air!

No comments:

Post a Comment