Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Something to blog about...

I was feeling blog withdrawal. I had been checking it once or twice (or more) times a day and reading what everybody else was writing, but I didn't seem to have much to tell. Until yesterday...

Last week, Mark brought home a bag of friendship bread batter. He said, "Hey, it's something fun we can do with the boys!" So it came time to put the first ingredients in the bag: Zack got sugar all over the counter and Xander proceeded to eat it with a spoon! Mushing the bag on the other days was fine.

Day 10...the day you're supposed to pour it out of the bag, divide it to give to friends and mix and bake the bread for yourself. I set out all the ingredients while Zack was eating breakfast and had all of the measuring utensils ready. Measuring, pouring and mixing wasn't so bad.

Before you pour the batter into the pan, you have to grease it and sprinkle with a cinnamon-sugar mixture. I had two pans, and this seemed easy enough...see:

Until Xander decided to scoop some with a measuring spoon and eat it, pouring cinnamon sugar all over the chair and the floor in the process.

Finally, the batter was ready, the pans were ready and the oven was ready. Now, the directions say to bake it for one hour. So I did. Then I let it set for about 10-15 minutes, like the directions said. I tried to dump the larger loaf into a nother container, but the bottom half of the loaf didn't come out...just the top half and the UNCOOKED BATTER from the middle. I tried to salvage it by putting it back in the pan and baking it, for 10-15 minutes increments until, hopefully, the middle cooked completely. This is what I ended up with:

So the next time Mark thinks of something fun *we* can do with the boys, *we* are going to do it together (that way I can get more pictures). Thankfully, it still tastes really good!!! Mark tried some when he got home, then Zack said, "Daddy, do you want to try some?" So he tried some more. Xander and I even had an argument this morning because he wanted his "cake," but I wanted him to eat his cereal first.

1 comment: