Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Story of Us

Seven years ago, Mark and I were married. At the time, it was the happiest day of our lives, but it was also just another day on our journey through life together. I decided to let you know how that journey began, and share some pictures from our wedding day.

November 1998--I was working at CVS in Wilmington, Mark was working at Domino's (in the same shopping center), and we both went to New Country (me occasionally, him often). Finally, one night at New Country, when I had actually gone there to meet another guy who had dialed a wrong number and got me, Mark asked me to dance. We talked about how I didn't drink and how I had just totaled my car in an accident. We danced again later to "Two Sparrows in a Hurricane." A couple days later, Mark went into CVS with the intention of asking me out. There was some guy bouncing a tennis ball at the front of the store, and Mark thought he was waiting for me, so he just left.

May 2000--To celebrate the end of another semester, the girls (ie. Cassie, Susan, Emily) and I went out for an evening. As we walked into one bar, there, sitting on the couch, alone with his beer, was Mark. Susan noticed him first, but we sat there talking for a while. Oh, and during that time, he thought I was going to be a pharmacist, but that was Cassie and Susan. So we talked, he told me about the tennis ball guy and I told him it wasn't too late and gave him my phone number. The next day, he was busy packing his things to move to New Bern for a new job, but we managed to date. He would just come down on his days off.


June 2000--We went on a little getaway trip to Myrtle Beach. We went to the Pavilion, Ripley's aquarium, and fancy restaurant along the boardwalk. On the way back, kind of out of the blue, Mark turned to me and said, "I think we're destined to be married."

September 2000--Mark drove to Raleigh while I was at a wedding in Charlotte. He decided to do his proposal the old-fashioned way: he asked my parents' permission! A couple days later, after an okay but not wonderful dinner at Outback, we went down to Wrightsville Beach. We walked and talked and admired the almost-full moon over the ocean. Mark said, "You make me the happiest man alive. Will you let me make you happy for the rest of our lives?" And that was his proposal, and yes, it was only four months after we started dating.

June 2002--After a whirlwind couple of days, including much family coming into town, last minute wedding preparations, and the untimely passing of Mark's Grandaddy, we made it to the church! Here's a few highlights...

Mark in front of the grotto--doesn't he look so calm and cool?
Dad and I doing the chicken dance to keep from crying
Mom and I
Here we are! We like to call this one "Mark's goofy grin." And if you look real closely, you can see him fiddling with his wedding band already.

Our Wedding Party: Heidi, Susan, Jonathan, Lisa, Eileen, me, Mark, Elle, Mike, Alan, Billy and Matt
Dad and Mom Swan, me and Mark, Grandma, Mike and Grandpa
Yeah, let's not go there--this is all 29 of us! Well, that was all at the time, anyway!
Mark and I with the "Never Home 4," my dad's quartet. They sang "What a Wonderful World" for us.
Me dancing with Grandpa
Some cake pictures...
I've always loved this one!
And this one--in the middle of the chicken dance. I love how you can see everyone's butts sticking out :)
Lisa was trying to help me cool off. And, no, I didn't photoshop this one, it's just the way the lighting turned out.
We're on our way!
And I'm looking forward to many more days with my husband and my hero..my Mark.
I love you always and forever!

2 comments:

  1. Such great pictures, you look beautiful! And I love your story, so sweet! Congratulations on your happy 7 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should clarify:

    1. The guy bouncing the tennis ball was talking to you and asked what time you were getting off. He was clearly just waiting around.

    2. Susan happened to be first up the steps, but I saw your group first. My friend had brought me out, but I was hanging out upstairs because I was depressed about moving.

    3. I was going to propose at Outback, but it just wasn't going well and wasn't the moment you deserved. When I saw the full moon I thought up the beach idea on the fly.

    Everyone talks about how hard marriage is, but ours just isn't. All we have to do is love each other and the rest seems to take care of itself.

    Love Always,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete