Saturday, September 25, 2010

Alphabet Adventures: I

I is for...Bug Fest? Actually insects...mostly.

We took the boys to Bug Fest at the natural history museum. It was so hot that day!! Here's Zack and Xander with Herby!! Zack loves watching the movies at Gramma's house.

Inside the museum, there were lots of places for bug encounters, but it was so crowded and hotter inside than outside! After a potty break, Zack got to hold a praying mantid. Xander was looking at and touching some mole crickets.

This insect-arium (?) had TONS of little bugs!! Ladybugs, inchworms, gnats, crickets, and I don't even know what else. They were pretty fascinated!

They don't look too excited in this picture. Xander wasn't really sure what all the excitement was about, but when Zack was interested in something, Xander was too.

There's a caterpillar at the far left of this picture. This was the part that Xander absolutely LOVED!! They had all kinds of caterpillars and some butterflies to look at and even touch. They even had one that was about 4 inches long with red spikes on its head. They said it was native to North Carolina, too! I couldn't imagine finding one of those in my garden!

I had fun with my macro function on my camera and caught some good pics of caterpillars and butterflies. Here's a swallowtail butterfly. It had been injured somehow--so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment