Monday, February 1, 2010

Mmm mmm good

We made granola bars this morning!!! And they were so easy, so much so that I'm not sure that I'll buy boxed granola bars any more! Here's how we did it...

Mix together 2-1/2 cups of rice crispies, 2 cups of oatmeal (I used quick oats, don't know if it makes a difference), and 1/2 cup chocolate chips or raisins. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, mix together 1/2 cup corn syrup (I used Karo syrup) and 1/2 brown sugar. Bring it to a boil while stirring it. Remove it from the heat and stir until smooth. Pour it over the cereal mixture. Here the recipe said to add 1/2 peanut butter and 1 tsp. vanilla. I added the vanilla and a little bit of honey. Mix it all together, then press it into a pan (it said ungreased, but I didn't trust that, so I lined it with waxed paper).

They were so yummy!! And hopefully healthier than store-bought ones. What was really cool was that they turned into chocolate granola bars instead of chocolate chip, because pouring the syrup/brown sugar mixture melted the chocolate! Finger lickin good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment