Tuesday, February 23, 2010

31 months

Three years ago yesterday, I was devastated when I saw this:
Then five months later, after this:
and this:

This precious miracle made his way into the world:
Today, he looks like this: (will insert picture when I take a good one after naptime)
And he is 31 months old today! My two-year-seven-month-old little boy:
  • still refuses to eat most fruits and vegetables most of the time.
  • copies everything his big brother does, good and bad.
  • adds s to the end of lots of words: yours house, babies cows
  • still cannot say his name, he says Nanner
  • loves Mickey Mouse, though I don't think he's ever actually watched the Disney Channel
  • has the cutest voice when he's singing "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Jesus Loves the Little Children"
  • knows almost all of his letters but mixes up K and J
  • can count up to 13 or 14 but can't count objects one to one
  • is a little snuggle bug
  • is getting closer to being ready to potty train every day (he peed in the potty before bath time the other night), but has a Mommy that's dreading it
  • has reached his independent stage: taking off shoes and coat, buckling himself in his booster seat, walking in stores (though he still wanders)
  • is still my precious baby!

2 comments:

  1. Christine,
    Thanks for your honesty. I can say I was surprised each time (with Shelby we waited till she was born). I ALWAYS thought I was having the opposite of what I had. Jeff was always correct. When Jeff tells people we want to try again for another girl, he is always quick to add that we know we may get a third boy and that would be perfect as well. But I understand completely wanting something so badly that you have to have at least a little (if not more than that) disappointment when you get something else. We are, after all human. So few people are willing to be honest in these situations. I have a friend with five sons expecting baby six (does not know the sex)and she is terrified of having a girl, but is embarrassed to admit that, especially because everyone concludes she should want a girl!

    So here is my confession, before I was married or pregnant, I thought that having a child with autism was a death sentence. I thought that never being able to hear my child say the words, "I love you," would tear my heart to shreds. Today, I have an almost 44 month old autistic daughter. Shelby is one of the greatest gifts God ever gave me. She is completely non-verbal but she tells us everyday she loves us. As my mother says, she doesn't have words, but has so much to say.

    God bless those miracles that slowly reveal themselves to mothers!
    <3 Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried after the ultrasound, and I went to Eileen's work afterwards, too. When she saw me, so upset, she thought for sure that something had gone wrong with the baby. She was so annoyed (in a nice way) with me that I scared her like that, when I was just upset because it was a boy. Thank you for your honesty, too. I can only imagine the trials you have been through with Shelby, and it is admirable to see your faith unshaken.

    ReplyDelete