Monday, August 9, 2010

A Letter to Me

I'm sure you all have heard the Brad Paisley song by the same name. Since the first time I heard it, I've thought multiple times about what I would say to my seventeen-year-old self. So much has changed in my life since then, changes that I never thought could happen to me. I always wanted to be married, to teach, to have children, to own a home, and, well, aside from teaching nowadays, I have all that. I guess the road to where I am is what amazes me more, the things have happened along the way to make me the person I am today.

Dear Seventeen-year-old Christine,
I'm writing to you from 14 years in the future. I hope you can just trust that it's me, but I can tell you that the turning point in your life at that point was in the cave in Alabama with the youth group. It really put things in perspective and has stayed with you since. There's some things that I know you worry about, but I want to let you know that your life really does turn out okay, though no necessarily in the way you would expect. So here's some bits of advice from the grown-up version of you:
1. Cherish every moment you have with Mom. Do not take her for granted...ever. Be sure you visit with her and spend time with her after you leave for college. There will come a day when she's not around, so don't forget to hug her when you say good-bye everytime.
2. You will find love, but you won't end up with the person you think you will. I'll tell you that he will amaze you, and he will be your hero in many ways.
3. Make sure you drive carefully in the Fiero, and don't use cruise control in the rain.
4. I know right now you sometimes feel alone and left out. I won't lie to you: that will keep happening, but you will also keep some of your friends now for a lifetime. Try to stay in touch with people as much as you can. That will probably help. But one day, you'll have Facebook, which helps even more!
5. Enjoy your summer at the beach! You'll make memories and have feelings, but you'll also have a lifelong friend when it's over.
6. Be patient.
7. When you go to California this summer, be careful about how you set your watch on the way back. You won't miss your flight.
8. Even though you're the baby of the family, you will be grown-up, and equal with your brothers and sisters someday. You'll learn to let things go and understand how others are feeling.
9. Exercise.
10. Live life to the fullest, don't let things bother you, take time to enjoy the blessings that surround you, and (well, to quote a song from today) love like crazy!

1 comment:

  1. I concur with the Fiero statement about a million times.

    ReplyDelete